Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: ClosedCase Summary:
This settlement resolves a class action against Sharp Electronics Corporation alleging that certain of its drawer-type microwave ovens have a defect that may cause “arcing through the waveguide.” The arcing may make the ovens malfunction or fail.Docket Number:
Company: Sharp Electronics Corporation
Filing Deadline: May 7, 2021
Class Period: January 1, 2009 to August 5, 2020
Objection Deadline: November 17, 2020
Exclusion Deadline: November 17, 2020
Final Approval Hearing: January 7, 2021Proof of Purchase:
You must provide all of the following with your claim form:
- Proof of purchase or installation or a photo of the serial number plate inside the oven.
- Documentation of an arcing event, including (a) dated photographic evidence or (b) written information from a licensed appliance service contractor, with either one establishing the electrical arcing and its date or approximate date.
- If you are claiming reimbursement of labor costs or costs to repair or cover an opening in kitchen cabinetry, you must provide documentation of these expenses, including an invoice or receipt.
You may be eligible if you live in the US and you were either
- The first person to buy or receive a new Sharp Microwave Drawer Oven for your own use, or
- The first person to won a residential real property after a new Sharp Microwave Drawer Oven was installed for the owner’s use, between January 1, 2009 and August 5, 2020.
Note that your claim deadline differs according to when your five-year Limited Extended Warranty (provided as part of this settlement) expires:
- If it expires after January 7, 2021, you have two years after the occurrence of an arcing event to make a claim.
- If it expires before January 7, 2021, you have until May 7, 2021 to make a claim.
Variety of benefits: (1) Extension of existing warranty to five years for arcing events. (2) Choice of one of the following: Replacement microwave drawer oven; $250 cash; or $500 voucher for Sharp-branded product. (3) Labor costs of up to $150 for microwave repairs or inspections. (4) Labor costs of up to $200 for adjacent cabinetry repairs (only for those who do not receive a replacement microwave). For details and conditions of each of these, see the Notice at https://sharpmicrowavelitigation.com/Portals/0/Document%20Files/Hamm%20v%20Sharp_Long%20Form%20Notice_v5.pdf?ver=2020-09-15-104516-000.
Total Settlement Amount: UnknownClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Greg Coleman Law PC
Whitfield Bryson & Mason
Claim Form: Sharp Drawer-Type Microwave Oven Settlement Claim Form
Case Name: Hamm v. Sharp Electronics Corporation
Settlement Website: Sharp Drawer-Type Microwave Oven Settlement Website
Rust Consulting, Inc.
Sharp Electronics Corp.
Attn: Drawer Claims
c/o Rust Consulting
4050 S Mendenhall Rd
Memphis, TN 38115