Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: OpenCase Summary:
This settlement resolves a class action against SCI Direct, Inc., Neptune Management Corp (also known as Neptune Society Management Corporation, doing business as Neptune Society), and NCS Marketing Services, LLC (which does business as National Cremation Society (NCS). Neptune and NCS sold Preneed Funeral Agreements, Retail Merchandise Agreements, and Transportation and Relocation Protection Plans (TRPPs), and the complaint alleged that they used unfair and deceptive practices in their marketing and sale of the TRPPs, among other things because the complaint alleged they violated Florida’s Funeral Act by misrepresenting their financial interest in the sale, among other things. The complaint asked the court for an option for class members to rescind some or all of their contracts.Docket Number:
Company: SCI Direct Inc.
Filing Deadline: December 30, 2022
Class Period: April 1, 2016
Objection Deadline: December 20, 2022
Exclusion Deadline: December 15, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: January 19, 2023Proof of Purchase:
The Claim Form asks that you provide supporting documentation.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you belong to either of the classes below:
- The Preneed and Retail Merchandise Plan Settlement Class is all persons who, between April 1, 2016 and the present, bought a Preneed Funeral Agreement and a Retail Merchandise Agreement from Neptune or NCS, in Florida, excluding all Preneed and Retail Merchandise Plans for which the cremation services have already been performed, and all irrevocable preneed contracts.
- The TRPP Settlement Class is all persons who, between April 1, 2016 and the present, bought a TRPP from Neptune or NCS, in Florida, excluding all TRPPs where the beneficiaries have already been created or buried.Typical Settlement Amount:
- Preneed and Retail Merchandise Settlement Class members have the option to cancel their Preneed Funeral Agreement and Retail Merchandise Agreement and get a full refund of what they paid for each, minus any refunds, provided they return the merchandise substantially in its original condition and give their rights under other agreements. If you choose this option, you must cancel both the Preneed Funeral Agreement and Retail Merchandise Agreement.
- TRPP Settlement Class members have the option of canceling their TRPP and get a full refund of what they paid, minus any refunds, provided they also cancel any Preneed Funeral Agreement and/or Retail Merchandise Agreement bought for the same beneficiary as the TRPP from Neptune or NCS. They must also cancel any other of the class member’s agreements with Neptune or NCS and return any merchandise in substantially its original condition.
- Class members who are returning merchandise will receive a prepaid shipping label via email where this is feasible, or should return the merchandise by US mail. The merchandise should be packed and shipped with the label.
- Class members who choose not to cancel will be entitled to a free online obituary provided by Neptune or NCS. Neptune or NCS persons will work with families to on the language of the obituary. You do not need to submit a claim form to get this benefit.
- No cash award is provided. The option to cancel and entitlement to the obituary are considered sufficient benefits in exchange for the release of claims.
Total Settlement Amount: UnknownClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Hilgers Graben, PLLC
Korein Tillery, LLC
Claim Form: Funeral Agreement Settlement Claim Form
Case Name: Taylor, et. al. v. SCI Direct, Inc., et. al.
Settlement Website: Funeral Agreement Settlement Website
Funeral Agreement Settlement Administrator
1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210
Philadelphia, PA 19103