Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
National Grid USA Service Company, Inc. is settling a class action alleging that it or its debt collectors placed calls with automated or prerecorded messages to consumer cell phones. The complaint alleged the calls violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). National Grid includes a variety of utility companies, including those operating in New York as KeySpan Gas East Corporation, the Brooklyn Union Gas Company, and Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation; in Massachusetts as Boston Gas Company, Colonial Gas Company (now part of Boston Gas), Massachusetts Electric Company, and Nantucket Electric Company; and in Rhode Island as the Narragansett Electric Company.Docket Number:
Company: National Grid USA Service Company, Inc.
Filing Deadline: May 12, 2022
Class Period: March 9, 2011 to October 29, 2021
Objection Deadline: May 12, 2022
Exclusion Deadline: May 12, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: June 10, 2022Proof of Purchase:
You do not need to provide proof.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a person living in the US who, between March 9, 2011 and October 29, 2021, received a call on a cell phone using an artificial or prerecorded voice message about any one of the following:
- The payment or status of a current or past National Grid utility bill or account.
- An “important matter concerning a current or past National Grid utility bill or account.
- A disconnect notice concerning a current or past National Grid utility bill or account.
- An invitation from National Grid to attend a Customer Assistance Expo or to meet with or speak to the National Grid Consumer Advocacy Group, National Grid Consumer Advocate, or National Grid Credit Department.
- The availability of a government assistance program, such as the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), to assist with payments to National Grid.
Payments estimated to be $50 to $150 per person, although final amounts could be higher or lower.
Total Settlement Amount: $38,500,000Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Up to $10,000 each
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein
Case Name: Jenkins v. National Grid USA Service Company, Inc.
Settlement Website: National Grid Calls to Cell Phones Settlement Website
National Grid TCPA Settlement Administrator
1650 Arch St., Suite 2210
Philadelphia, PA 19103