Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
This settlement resolves a civil rights class action against Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. (KFHP), Kaiser Foundation Hospitals (KFH), the Permanente Medical Group, Inc. (TPMG), and Southern California Medical Group (SCMG). The complaint alleged that the entities (1) paid unequally based on race and (2) had a pattern and practice of other kinds of racial discrimination, such as in raises, job assignments, job code placements, demotions, denials of promotions, and (3) had disparate impacts based on race. The complaint claimed these practices violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Section 1981 of the US Code, and various California laws.Docket Number:
Company: Kaiser Foundation Hospitals
Filing Deadline: January 22, 2022
Class Period: January 1, 2015 to March 31, 2021
Objection Deadline: January 22, 2022
Exclusion Deadline: January 22, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: February 9, 2022Proof of Purchase:
You do not have to provide proof. If you received a Notice and do not believe the number of weeks indicated for you are accurate, contact the Settlement Administrator 1-844-975-1785 by January 22, 2022.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you were a Black employee at any time between January 1, 2015 and March 31, 2021, who
- Worked in the following California Regions: Northern California, Southern California, California locations of the Program Offices Region, and California locations of the KP-IT Region,
- Worked for KFHP, KFH, TPMG, or SCPMG,
- Were an exempt or non-exempt employee,
- Were full-time, nonunion, Director-level, and below, in non-clinical jobs only, and
- Were in the job families of Administrative Support and Consulting Services.
Individuals who were interns or in student temporary jobs are not part of this settlement.
Two kinds of awards are available.
- Individual Settlement Award: If you received a Notice and the figures indicated for you are correct, and you only wish to get an Individual Settlement Award, you do not have to submit a claim form. These awards will be determined by a formula based on each person’s number of weeks worked, annual base salary, and exempt or non-exempt classification.
- Enhancement Award: A 10% enhancement, if you believe you were denied a promotion based on your race. You must submit a claim form to receive this.
The awards are estimated to average around $476 for non-exempt employees and $5,690 for exempt employees. One third of Individual Settlement Awards will be reported as wages on an IRS Form W-2 with wage taxes withheld; the other two-thirds will be reported as non-wage income on an IRS Form 1099.
Total Settlement Amount: $11,504,759Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein
Medina Orthwein, LLP
Case Name: Stewart, et al. v. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc., et al.
Settlement Website: Stewart v. Kaiser Permanente Settlement Website
JND Legal Administration
Stewart v. Kaiser Permanente Settlement Administrator
c/o JND Legal Administration
PO Box 91344
Seattle, WA 98111