Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questionsCase Summary:
This is a partial settlement of a class action against James Franco, Vince Jolivette, Jay Davis, Rabbitbandid Productions, Rabbitbandini Productions, LLC, Rabbitbandini Films, LLC, Dark Rabbit Productions, LLC, and Rabbitbandini Products Studio 4, LLC. The complaint alleged that the production companies and acting and film school were run in a way that subjected the students to fraud for the benefit of the individual defendants in this case.
The complaint also made allegations of sexual harassment, exploitation, and coercion which were resolved for the two named plaintiffs only. The other sexual allegations will be dismissed without prejudice for any other class members at the final approval of this case.Docket Number:
Company: Studio 4
Filing Deadline: December 4, 2022
Class Period: February 1, 2014 to September 20, 2022
Objection Deadline: December 4, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: February 15, 2023Proof of Purchase:
You do not need to provide proof.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a member of either of the fraud classes:
- The Master Fraud Class is any individual who paid tuition for one or more Master Class courses at Studio 4 Film School in Los Angeles or New York at any time between February 1, 2014 and September 20, 2022.
- The General Fraud Class is any individual who paid tuition for any course at Studio 4 Film School in Los Angeles or New York at any time between February 1, 2014 and September 20, 2022.
- From the gross settlement, $894,000 will go to settle the sexual exploitation claims of the named plaintiffs.
- The remaining gross settlement amount of $1, 341,000 which will form a Common Fund that will first be used to pay the attorneys’ fees and costs, the settlement administration costs, and the class representatives’ service awards. Of the remaining net settlement fund, 75% will go to the Master Fraud Class and 25% to the General Fraud Class.
- The Master Fraud Class will receive the total of all tuition paid for each Master Class taken. The General Fraud Class amount will be divided evenly among all students who paid monthly tuition during the class period and who submit a claim form. The amount may be up to four months of tuition, or $1,200. Those who are members of both classes will receive both amounts.
Total Settlement Amount: $2,235,000Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Up to $10,000
Hadsell Stormer and Renick LLP
Valli Kane & Vagnini LLP
Claim Form: Studio 4 Settlement Claim Form
Case Name: Sarah Tither-Kaplan, Toni Gaal, et al. v. James Franco, Vince Jolivette, Jay Davis; Rabbitbandini Productions; Rabbitbandini Productions, LLC; Rabbitbandini Films, LLC; Dark Rabbit Productions, LLC; and Rabbitbandini Productions Studio 4, LLC
Settlement Website: Studio 4 Settlement Website
JND Legal Administration
Tither-Kaplan & Gaal v. Studio 4 Class Action Claims Administration
c/o JND Legal Administration
PO Box 91398
Seattle, WA 98111