Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: OpenCase Summary:
This $328 million settlement resolves a lawsuit that was filed in 1999 when Hawaii eliminated the Hawaiian Claims Office that reviewed breaches of trust by the state of Hawaii about the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust that occurred between 1959 and 1995. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Native Hawaiian beneficiaries of the trust who’d filed breach of trust claims.
The settlement will locate class members, validate their claims, and calculate the amounts they will receive, and thus settle all claims. Unfortunately, almost 1,000 people of the original 2,721 class members have passed away since the lawsuit was originally filed.Docket Number:
Company: Hawaii, The State of
Filing Deadline: January 1, 2100
Objection Deadline: March 15, 2023
Exclusion Deadline: December 15, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: April 14, 2023Proof of Purchase:
You do not have to provide proof.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a person who filed claims with the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel on or before August 31, 1995. If you are a relative of a deceased class member, please designate a family member who will be the primary contact person for the claim, and also provide your name, address, telephone number, and email address as requested by the Notice.
Note that you will not receive the amount of damages previously calculated by the Individual Claims Review Panel. People who will not receive a settlement payment include the following:
- Individuals who did not file a claim with the Panel on or before August 31, 1995.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim did not assert an individual breach of trust which occurred between August 21, 1959 and June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim asserted an individual breach of trust that occurred after June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim was not a valid HRS Chapter 674 claim.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but settled their claim.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2007 class notice.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2012 class notice.
- Individuals who opt out of the Settlement Class and this Settlement by sending a valid and timely Opt-Out Letter to the Claims Administrator.
If your claims are validated, you will receive a payment based on a court-approved plan of distribution based on the Fair Market Rental Value of a homestead lot.
Total Settlement Amount: $328 millionClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Carl M. Varady, Attorney at Law
Grande Law Offices
Case Name: Kalima, et al. v. State of Hawai‘i
Settlement Website: Kalima Lawsuit Website
Epiq Class Action & Claims Solutions, Inc.
Kalima Claims Administrator
P.O. Box 135035
Honolulu, Hawai’i 96801