Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: OpenCase Summary:
This settlement resolves class actions brought against General Motors, LLC (New GM), the Motors Liquidation Company GUC Trust, and the Motors Liquidation Company Avoidance Action Trust. Cases were filed against New GM in the Multi-District Litigation Court and against the GUC Trust in the Bankruptcy Court, alleging that consumers overpaid for vehicles they bought or leased that were subject to recalls. The recalls involved the ignition system, key rotation, electronic power steering, and side airbag wiring.Docket Number:
14-MD-2543 (JMF) (“MDL 2543”) and 09-50026 (MG)
Company: General Motors
Filing Deadline: April 20, 2021
Objection Deadline: October 19, 2020
Exclusion Deadline: October 19, 2020
Final Approval Hearing: December 18, 2020Proof of Purchase:
You may be required to provide documentation of lease, ownership, or repairs, or to submit forms for repair attestation or former owner attestation.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a person who, at any time as of or before a recall announcement date for a Subject Vehicle, owned, bought, or leased one of the Subject Vehicles in the US, including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin islands, and all other US territories and possessions.
There are five Subclasses:
- Delta Ignition Subclass: Class members who owned, bought, or leased a Subject Vehicle subject to NHTSA Recall No. 14v047.
- Key Rotation Subclass: Class members who owned, bought, or leased a Subject Vehicle subject to NHTSA Recall Nos. 14v355, 14v394, and 14v400.
- Camaro Knee-Key Subclass: Class members who owned, bought, or leased a Subject Vehicle subject to NHTSA Recall No. 14v346.
- Electronic Power Steering Subclass: Class members who owned, bought, or leased a Subject Vehicle subject to NHTSA Recall No. 14v153.
- Side Airbag Subclass: Class members who owned, bought, or leased a Subject Vehicle subject to NHTSA Recall No. 14v118.
The list of Subject Vehicles is long and complicated. For more information, see pages 4-6 of the Notice at: https://www.gmignitionswitcheconomicsettlement.com/admin/services/connectedapps.cms.extensions/22.214.171.124/asset?id=c57d96e8-7485-4377-8a64-6a4f213efe37&languageId=1033&inline=true.Typical Settlement Amount:
The Net Common Fund will be distributed to class members subject to a formula in the Settlement Agreement. Payments for Delta Ignition Switch Subclass claims will be worth double, and Key Rotation Switch Subclass claims will be worth one and a half times, as much as the claims for the other three subclasses.
Total Settlement Amount: $121.1 millionClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
$310,000 in total
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein
Case Name: In re: General Motors Ignition Switch Litigation and In re Motors Liquidation Company, et al., f/k/a General Motors Corp., et al.
Settlement Website: General Motors Ignition Switch Settlement Website
JND Legal Administration
GM Ignition Switch Economic Settlement Claims Center
c/o JND Legal Administration
P.O. Box 91354
Seattle, WA 98111