Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: OpenCase Summary:
The City of Fort Lauderdale, Florida is settling two class actions centering three properties it owns, (1) the site of the former Lincoln Park incinerator, (2) the former Lincoln Park Elementary School, and (3) Lincoln Park. Parts of the properties may have been contaminated with dumps and storage of ash from the incinerator, which was in operation from the 1920s to the 1950s. The ash may contain arsenic, dioxin, and other toxic substances.Docket Number:
07-30358 and CACE-11008499
Company: City of Fort Lauderdale (Florida)
Filing Deadline: December 9, 2021
Class Period: January 1, 1928
Objection Deadline: October 19, 2020
Exclusion Deadline: October 19, 2020
Final Approval Hearing: December 9, 2020Proof of Purchase:
You must provide documentation to support your claims.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you lived for at least ten years in the Lincoln Park area of impact, including
(1) Living in the Durrs Neighborhood for ten or more years, at any time between 1928 and the present. The ten-year period does not have to be consecutive.
(2) Attending the Lincoln Park Elementary School, including attending after-school programs at the school’s facilities, at any time between 1960 and 2003.
(3) Playing in Lincoln Park (while living in the Durrs Neighborhood for the ten-year exposure period or attending Lincoln Park Elementary School) until it was closed for remediation in 2002.
Note that different types of claims have different deadlines:
Property damage claims: February 16, 2021
Medical Monitoring Claims: November 17, 2021
Bodily Injury Fund Claims: December 9, 2021
For a map of the Area of Impact, see https://lincolnparksettlement.com/lincoln-park-area-of-impact/.Typical Settlement Amount:
Payment or assistance from one or more of four funds:
(1) Litigation Injury Fund: Only for named plaintiffs in this case who have already filed a claim for personal injuries in one of the two cases resolved by this settlement.
(2) Property Damage Fund: Up to $750, for those who currently own property in the Lincoln Park Area of Impact. (See the map at https://lincolnparksettlement.com/lincoln-park-area-of-impact/.)
(3) Medical Monitoring Fund: Access to medical exams and diagnostic testing for adverse effects or diseases attributed to exposure to carcinogens and other contaminants.
(4) Bodily Injury Fund: Payment for those who receive a diagnosis for an adverse medical outcome or disease associated with the exposure. Total amount of the fund is no less than $250,000.
Total Settlement Amount: $18,000,000Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Napoli Shkolnik, PLLC
Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, PA
Case Name: Walter Hinton, et al. v. City of Ft. Lauderdale and Ray Adderley, et al. vs. City of Ft. Lauderdale,
Settlement Website: Fort Lauderdale Lincoln Park Incinerator Settlement Website
Wolf Garretson, LLC
Lincoln Park Complex Settlement
c/o Court-Appointed Neutral
229 S. Brevard St.
Charlotte, NC 28202