Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited will pay $82 million as the final settling party of a very large antitrust case after almost nineteen years of litigation. There have been three prior settlements in this case. The complaint alleged that car makers and a trade association conspired to prevent closely similar but less expensive cars, light trucks, and SUVs that were sold in Canada from being exported to the US, which resulted in higher prices for those who bought or leased vehicles in California.Docket Number:
JCCP Nos. 4298 and 4303, Master File No. 19-md-02878
Company: Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited
Filing Deadline: December 31, 2022
Class Period: January 1, 2001 to April 30, 2003
Objection Deadline: September 12, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: October 5, 2022Proof of Purchase:
At this time, you do not need to submit any proof or documentation along with your claim form. However, you may be asked for documents at a later date.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you meet all of the following requirements:
- You bought or leased a new passenger car, light-duty truck, or SUV between January 1, 2001 and April 30, 2003.
- You bought or leased your vehicle from an authorized dealer in California that sells new vehicles directly to customers.
- The vehicle you bought or leased was one of the following makes: Acura, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Toyota, or Volvo.
- You lived in California on November 15, 2010.
- You are not—or at the time of your purchase or lease, you were not—a defendant in this case; an officer, director, or employee of any of the defendants; an entity in which any of the defendants have a controlling interest; an affiliate, legal representative, attorney, heir, or assign of any of the defendants; or a governmental entity; or a judge or judicial officer presiding over this lawsuit or a member of such a person’s immediate families or judicial staffs.
- You did not previously exclude yourself from the class.
Portion of the net settlement fund, to be distributed on a weighted, pro-rata basis, based on their vehicle purchases and leases. Economists have done an analysis to estimate how much higher new vehicle prices were raised in the US (the overcharge) because of the alleged conspiracy. This depends on the make and model of the vehicle. A list of these Recognized Claim Amounts is contained in Appendix B, although your payment is likely to be less than the amount shown. Final amounts will depend on the number of valid claims submitted.
If you have an email address or mobile phone number, you may only ask for a paper check if your amount is $10 or more.
Total Settlement Amount: $82 millionClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Up to $5,000
Claim Form: California Cars Settlement Claim Form
Case Name: Automobile Antitrust Cases I and II
Settlement Website: California Cars Settlement Website
AB Data, Ltd.
Automobile Antitrust Ford Canada Settlement
P.O. Box 173028
Milwaukee, WI 53217