Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
This settlement resolves a class action against Dell, Inc., Dell Marketing Limited Partnership, Dell Catalog Sales Limited Partnership, BancTec, Inc., and QualxServ, LLC. The class action claimed that customers were improperly charged sales tax or use tax on optional maintenance agreements, in violation of North Carolina laws. The case was referred to binding arbitration, which determined that the agreements were not subject to sales or use tax, but has not yet determined whether the companies’ business practices violated certain other laws.Docket Number:
03 CVS 5099
Company: Dell Inc.
Filing Deadline: April 2, 2018
Class Period: April 15, 1999 to December 31, 2008
Objection Deadline: February 5, 2018
Exclusion Deadline: February 5, 2018
Final Approval Hearing: March 6, 2018Proof of Purchase:
No proof of purchase is necessary if you received a notice based on information in the companies’ records.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if
- You bought at least one Optional Maintenance Agreement from Dell, Inc. (formerly known as Dell Computer Corporation), Dell Marketing Limited Partnership, Dell Catalog Sales Limited Partnership, BancTec, Inc., and QualxServ, LLC,
- Your ship-to address was in the state of North Carolina,
- You paid a tax, between April 15, 1999 and December 31, 2008, calculated in whole or in part on the charge for the Optional Maintenance Agreement,
- You did not receive a refund of the tax, and
- Your purchase was governed by a contract containing a clause requiring arbitration by the CPR Institute for Dispute resolution.
If you did not receive a settlement notice but believe that you may be a member of the settlement class, contact the Claims Administrator for further information.Typical Settlement Amount:
Varies; you will receive the amount of interest you paid on any of the subject Optional Maintenance Agreements you purchased during the class period, plus interest.
Total Settlement Amount: UnknownClass Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Ellis and Rapacki LLP
Miller Monroe & Plyler PLLC
Claim Form: Dell North Carolina Tax Settlement Claim Form
Case Name: Zack B. Starritt, et al. v. Dell Inc., et al.
Settlement Website: Dell North Carolina Tax Settlement Website
Dell North Carolina Tax Settlement
Settlement Administrator – Epiq Systems Inc.
P.O. Box 4079
Portland, OR 97208-4079