Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Active: OpenCase Summary:
The City of Edmundson, Missouri is settling a class action alleging it violated the constitutional rights of citizens when it arrested and incarcerated them at the City of Edmundson Police Department, City of St. Ann Jail, and the St. Louis County Jail, because they could not afford to pay money they owed from traffic and other minor offenses; by causing them to pay money they owed from traffic and other minor offenses; and by putting out warrants for their arrest.Docket Number:
Company: City of Edmundson, Missouri
Filing Deadline: September 30, 2022
Class Period: December 12, 2013 to July 1, 2021
Objection Deadline: September 30, 2022
Exclusion Deadline: July 18, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: November 9, 2022Proof of Purchase:
You do not have to provide proof.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a member of any of the following three classes:
- Class 1, the Jailed Class is all persons who, between December 12, 2013 and July 1, 2021, were arrested or incarcerated by or on behalf of the City of Edmundson.
- Class 2, the Paid Fines Class, is all persons who, between December 12, 2013 and July 1, 2021, paid a fine, fee, cost, surcharge, or other amount to the City of Edmundson.
- Class 3, the Warrant Class is all persons who were the subject of an arrest warrant issued between December 12, 2013 and July 1, 2021 by the City of Edmundson.
Cash payment calculated according to the class you are in and the number of hours you served in jail between December 12, 2013 and July 1, 2021.
- Class 1: You will not be compensated for the first 6 hours of your arrest. For hours 7-48, you will be compensated at a rate of $7.50 per hour. For any additional hours, you will be compensated at a rate of $15 per hour.
- Class 2: You will receive an amount of cash, up to $60.
- Class 3: You will receive up to $20.
If you are a member of both Classes 2 and 3, you will be compensated as a Class 2 member.
Total Settlement Amount: Est. $386,022Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP
Claim Form: City of Edmundson Claim Form
Case Name: Thomas, et al. v. The City of Edmundson
Settlement Website: City of Edmundson Website
Edmundson Class Action
c/o Atticus Administration
PO Box 64053
Saint Paul, MN 55164