Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
The Champlain Towers South Condominium Association, Inc. (CTSCA) and other parties are paying more than $1 billion to settle class actions pertaining to the collapse of part of the Champlain Towers South (CTS) building and the later demolition of the rest, in Surfside, Florida in June 2021. The collapse caused ninety-eight deaths as well as injuries and substantial property damage.
Unit property owners settled their claims in a separate settlement on March 4, 2022, so the claims being settled now relate to (1) the wrongful death of a settlement class member as a result of the CTS collapse, (2) personal injury of a settlement class member as a result of the collapse, and (3) loss of personal property of a settlement class member (other than an owner) who was also a resident or an invitee, as a result of the CTS collapse.Docket Number:
Company: Champlain Towers South Condominium Association, Inc.
Filing Deadline: July 18, 2022
Objection Deadline: June 16, 2022
Exclusion Deadline: June 16, 2022
Final Approval Hearing: June 23, 2022Proof of Purchase:
See the individual claim forms for what is needed.Eligibility:
You are a settlement class member if you do not exclude yourself and
- You were the record owner of a condominium in CTS at the time of the collapse;
- You lived at CTS and were present at CTS at the time of the collapse;
- You were physically injured, or you represent someone who was killed, as a result of the CTS collapse;
- You suffered emotional distress as a result of the CTS collapse;
- You suffered damage or destruction of your residence or personal property as a result of the CTS collapse;
- You are a dependent who has the legal right to assert a claim derivatively for one of the previously-discussed groups;
- You suffered economic losses or damages as a result of the CTS collapse; or
- You are an authorized representative of someone on this list.
Four claim forms are provided for this settlement:
- Full Claim Form, for Personal Property/Unit Contents
- Full Claim Form, for Personal injury
- Simple Claim Form, for Personal Injury
- Full Claim form, for Wrongful Death
Simple claims: Payments of set amounts. Other claims: Portion of the $1 billion settlement fund.
Total Settlement Amount: $1,021,199,000Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen PA
Kozyak Tropin & Throckmorton
Case Name: In Re: Champlain Towers South Collapse Litigation
Settlement Website: Champlain Towers South Collapse Settlement Website
MICHAEL I. GOLDBERG, RECEIVER
Receiver for Champlain Towers South Condominium Association, Inc.
The Main Las Olas
201 East Las Olas Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301