Settlement Structure: Claims Made
Closed Settlement Statement:
According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.Case Summary:
This settlement resolves two class actions alleging that dancers performing at certain adult clubs should have been treated as employees rather than owners and so did not receive proper pay and benefits. The complaint alleges that the clubs also failed to pay overtime, did not provide meal and rest periods, did not give dancers accurate, itemized wage statements, and forced dancers into unlawful tip-sharing arrangments.
The defendant companies and their clubs are as follows:
- City of Industry Hospitality Venture, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – City of Industry, CA)
- Farmdale Hospitality Services, Inc. (Blue Zebra – North Hollywood, CA)
- High Expectations Hospitality, LLC (Spearmint Rhino – Dallas, TX)
- Inland Restaurant Venture I, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Van Nuys, CA)
- Kentucky Hospitality Venture, LLC (Spearmint Rhino – Lexington, KY)
- L.C.M., LLC (Spearmint Rhino – Boise Idaho)
- Midnight Sun Enterprises, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Torrance, CA)
- Nitelife, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Minneapolis, MN)
- Olympic Avenue Venture, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Los Angeles, CA)
- The Oxnard Hospitality Services, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Oxnard, CA)
- Rialto Pockets, Incorporated (Spearmint Rhino – Rialto, CA)
- Rouge Gentlemen’s Club, Inc. (Dames N Games – Van Nuys, CA)
- Santa Barbara Hospitality Services, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Santa Barbara, CA)
- Santa Maria Restaurant Enterprises, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Santa Maria, CA)
- Sarie’s Lounge, LLC (Spearmint Rhino – Omaha, NE)
- Washington Management, LLC (Dames N Games – Los Angeles, CA)
- Wild Orchid, Inc. (Spearmint Rhino – Portland, OR)
- World Class Venues, LLC (Spearmint Rhino – Omaha, NE)
5:17-CV-00527 JGB, 5:17-CV-00854 JGB
Company: Santa Barbara Hospitality Services Inc.
Filing Deadline: February 2, 2018
Objection Deadline: February 2, 2018
Exclusion Deadline: February 2, 2018
Final Approval Hearing: March 5, 2018Proof of Purchase:
You do not need proof if you do not dispute the number of dance days contained in club records.Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you provided nude, semi-nude, or bikini entertainment at one of the named clubs. Separate classes exist for California, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Oregon, and Texas. The class periods vary, depending on the statute of limitations in each state. There are also an FLSA class and an Intervenor class (the last for those who perform as members of limited liability companies and do not wish to be employees). For more information, see the Notice.Typical Settlement Amount:
Varies; a pro rata share of the net settlement fund, estimated to be between $6.92 and 11.93 per dance day. The final amount depends on the class member’s number of dance days and the total number of dance days on valid claims forms received. Awards may be taken in the form of (1) cash, or (2) credit in twice the amount to be used for overhead payments at the class member’s club.
Total Settlement Amount: Up to $8,500,000Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Baron & Budd
Shellist Lazarz Slobin LLP
Case Name: Lauren Byrne v. Santa Barbara Hospitality, Inc., et al., Jenetta L. Bracy v. DG Hospitality Van Nuys, LLC, et al.
Settlement Website: Santa Barbara Hospitality Services Settlement Website
Kurtzman Carson Consultants
Lauren Byrne v. Santa Barbara Hospitality Inc., et al.
& Jenetta L. Bracy v. DG Hospitality Van Nuys LLC, et al.
Kurtzman Carson Consultants
P.O. Box 40417
Louisville, KY 40204