“Vaping” has been marketed as a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes, but many users around the country have recently experienced dangerous explosions due to poor battery design.
One man who experienced an explosion is an “e-cig” user from Georgia. In July 2015, he was vaping when his e-cig exploded in his face. He was sent to the hospital and remained in intensive care for over a week. These stories are becoming more common, according to Wired. The devices have exploded in users’ pockets, faces, hands, and other places. A variety of injuries have been reported, including burns, fractured bones, and eye damage. Some victims have required surgery or skin grafts.
E-cigarettes have small lithium-ion batteries that heat the aerosol cartridge that releases vapor to be inhaled. The batteries are sensitive to damage, such as impact from drops, and to changes in temperature. The batteries are supposed to be kept between 50 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit. The cheaper batteries do not have management systems that keep them at a proper temperature if they are over or undercharged. These are the same problems that hoverboards had in late 2015. The batteries were not managed properly and caused explosions.
If you or a loved one was injured by an exploding e-cigarette, call Attorney George Pressly at 1-800-631-6234 to learn about possible compensation.Article Type: Investigation